EXPERIENCE THE NORDIC AUTUMN BETWEEN THREE DIFFERENT WORLDS
BOREAL FOREST, LAPPISH MOUNTAINS and norwegian coast
autumn is our first reminder of winter
sept 1st - sept 8TH 2019
GROUP SIZE: 8
MIN 2 personS
Midnight sun finally sets below horizon, nature has bloomed and gave its yearly harvest. Now it is time to follow it's path to hibernation
Join us on a week long autumn exploration of three different worlds in two countries, Finland and Norway.
Our journey starts in Muonio, North-west Lapland aka. fell Lapland. Muonio is located approx. 200km north of Polar circle in boreal zone.
Local fells reach 500m height over sea level giving them treeless peaks. Landscape in Muonio consists of different forests, swamps, lakes, rivers and fells. All of the photography locations are within 45min drive away. Muonio is also under the aurora zone giving us the chance to catch the northern lights against dark forests and reflective waters.
Kilpisjärvi is the north-west point of our country, where Finland, Sweden and Norway meet. During the 200km drive from Muonio to Kilpisjärvi you'll notice the change in climate zone from boreal to tundra. Landscape is barren and breathtaking. Vast distances and uninhabited wilderness area of Käsivarsi is our main focus. Kilpisjärvi area includes day hikes up to the fells and along the rivers.
Kilpisjärvi is also known for providing some of the best opportunities for witnessing the northern lights, given its position directly within the auroral zone. Statistically there is enough activity to produce visible auroras every second day, but of course this depends on the weather. Here the coastal weather meets the inland tundra weather giving two different climate zones to choose from. Kilpisjärvi in the middle also has its very own miniature climate which often creates a small opening in the clouds just above the village.
North-norway offers the biggest contrast during our excursion. During the 50km drive from Kilpisjärvi to Skibotn, Norway our elevation drops from 550m down to sea level. Sea climate takes over bringing the dramatic contrasts of mountains and fjords. Intertidal zones, sharp white mountain peaks and creamy glacier waters running in alpine-style valleys are our top picks in Norway
UNIQUE PHOTOGRAPHING OPPORTUNITIES
- Three destinations in different altitudes and climate zones
- Optimal chance of autumn colours
- Aurora Borealis
- Arctic desert
- Trees of tundra
- Fjells of Finland & mountains of Norway
- The Norwegian sea and coast
Pick-up from KTT Kittilä or ROV Rovaniemi airport
Transfer to Muonio check-in, welcome info and dinner. The northern lights watch begins after dinner. Your accommodation will be next to Lake Torassieppi which opens out towards the northern skies.
As with most photography workshops, there is no fixed itinerary. Our locations span across three countries and three climates. Most of our locations are a 45min drive or 15 minute hike away. Daily plans are usually made the night before. This way we can make the most of the photography conditions on each particular day. We start each day with breakfast and then head out. Lunch is served on location either in the open air, or in one of the many open huts in the area. Black pot coffee and tea are made in traditional way on an open fire.
Muonio's surroundings offer a network of wanderer huts to seek shelter in during cold nights. Waiting for the northern lights is much easier when enjoying a hot drink the warmth of remote log cabin in the autumn nights
In case of cloudy weather, we can easily go and see what's happening in the neighbouring climate zones within a 45 minute drive. If there is full cloud coverage, we'll spend the evening reviewing images and giving instructions and tutorials on post-processing as well as how to plan your photography locations by looking at weather, locations and auroral activity.
Breakfast, check-out from Kilpisjärvi & transfer to Tromsø.
The last night will be spent in Tromsø, a 2,5 hour drive from Kilpisjärvi. If we’re lucky with the weather we can make the most of the Norwegian landscape by taking two ferries and driving through the beautiful valley of the Lyngen alps.
Otherwise we will head straight to Tromsø and enjoy the last day in the city.
Day 8 in Tromsø:
Breakfast, check-out & transfer to Tromsø (TOS) airport
Days 2 -3 :
Muonio, home of fells, lakes and starry skies
Days 4 -6 :
Kilpisjärvi & norway, vast arctic wilderness,
land of contrasts and barren beauty of nature
SEP 1st - SEP 8TH 2019
GROUP SIZE: 8
MIN 2 PERS
- Shared accommodation
- Overnight in wanderer cabin and Lappish kotas
- Full board (Breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- All transportation
- All transfers to and from Airports
- Photographic guiding and instruction
- Image reviews, post-processing instruction
- Local English speaking guides
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
- Airfare to and from Tromsø
- Snacks and drinks outside of normal meals
- Alcoholic beverages
- International Medical and Travel Insurance Coverage
- Anything not specifically listed as included
WHAT TO BRING
In September we have first sub-zero temperatures in the night and in the morning. Rain and chilly winds are also possible.
Layered clothing is important in September, we do little hikes and spend more time in certain locations. It's important not to get too sweaty while walking and to stay warm enough when staying still.
- Thin thermal underwear, merino wool is recommended
- Fleece jacket and leggings
- 2-3 pairs thermal socks, woolly socks recommended
- Wind and water-proof jacket & trousers
- Neck-warmer or a scarf
- A good warm hat which covers your ears.
- Light gloves.
- Water resistant hiking shoes or rubber boots & thermal / hiking socks
- DSLR, Mirrorless system or Medium Format camera
- A stable tripod with quick release plate
- Standard zoom, for example 24-70mm
- Wide angle lens, for example 14mm f2.8
- Telephoto lens, for example 100-400mm
- Batteries and chargers, we recommend having at least 2-3 batteries
- Shutter cable release
- Polarising filter and ND filters
- Laptop computer with Photoshop and Lightroom
- External backup drives and memory cards for storage.
- Head torch
- Sun glasses